Ever since we went to our friend’s place for dinner I had been obsessing about stir fried bean sprouts with salted fish. It’s a simple dish and very cheap but sooo delicious. I think the salted fish is what makes me salivate everytime I think about it or smell it.
We were in Chinatown the other day so I decided to make some of this beautiful stuff. I made a massive batch (900g of bean sprouts) because we tend to cook once a week and just eat it for the rest of the week. Also because I was planning of consuming 10 years worth in a sitting that night; which I did since I haven’t had very much in the past 10 years of my life 😛
- Bean sprouts – 900g (~AUD$1.80)
- Salted fish (the vacuum packed ‘wet’ type) – 1/3rd of the packet (~AUD$1.50)
- Garlic – couple of cloves (~AUD$0.50)
- Chilli – to your liking (~AUD0.50)
- Fish Sauce – to taste; depends on how much fish you put in
- Heat oil in the wok and fry the salted fish until almost brown and crisp
- Chuck in the chopped garlic and chillies. Stir for a bit (don’t allow the garlic to cook too much as burnt garlic is really bitter)
- Chuck in the washed bean sprouts and cook until it is wilted. I like mine with a crunch still to it so I don’t cook it very much. You can sort of tell because the bean sprouts go a bit translucent
How easy is that! Takes like 10 mins, cost like AUD$4.30 for the whole batch, and fed us for a week with the chicken casserole we made in the slow cooker. And rice of course.
Be forewarned though – frying the salted fish really stinks! Owl almost died, not being from the same kind of background as me.
Our cat, the Empress Dowager, loved it though hehe.